Aaron’s Academy of Beauty Cultural Imperialism & Human Rights Discussion
Participate fully on the Unit 2 Discussion Board based on the assigned readings from Global Issues: A Cross-Cultural Perspective. Respond to any two of the following questions, in any order (one of them needs to be directly related to a course reading/video). Please see the Discussion Board Instructions.
Choose ONLY TWO of the following questions.
- Review the definition of global citizen in the textbook. Is it important to consider ourselves as global citizens? Why or why not? Use an example from Chapters 1-4 to support your perspective.
- Review the definition of cultural imperialism in the textbook. When is encouraging a shift to more Westernized values and lifestyles considered cultural imperialism? Provide an example you found in Chapters 1-4 to support your argument.
- It is extremely difficult to maintain a culturally relativistic stance when confronted with what we perceive to be a harmful cultural practice. How do we reconcile our ideas of right and wrong with the needs of cultural groups for self-determination?
- Review the definition of civil society in the textbook. Is your country (either where you were born or where you live now) a civil society? Why or why not? Use the definition to explain your answer.
- Review the definition of human rights in the textbook. Should population control measures be considered a human rights issue? Use examples from the textbook to support your answer.