Art History the Gothic Era Presentation
topics: late antiquity, byzantium, islamic art, early medieval europe, romanesque, gothic europe
PowerPoint Presentation, please follow these requirements
- 15 slides with some images of a specific period of art. You can use the topics as a guide
- The information included should be about the art work, the artist when applicable and the important factors of the art period.
- Works Cited page
- 3-5 sources
- TOPICS: Chapter 8: Late Antiquity
- Compare the mosaics of Santa Costanza with the mosaics of the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia. How are they similar, how are they different, and how do they reflect their respective periods?
- Compare and contrast the various images of Christ during this period. How does each reflect the synthesis of classical values? How does each image portray Christ and what he represented in early Christian life and belief?
- How did the Roman imperial motifs merge with Christian themes? Use three examples from this chapter.
- Examine the artistic contributions of Constantine to Christianity and the effect these had.
Chapter 9: Byzantium
- Discuss the consequences of the Iconoclasm and its effect on Early Byzantine art. How did the Iconoclasm affect Middle Byzantine art? Include in your discussion the reasons for the iconoclasm. Use examples as evidence
- Explain the innovations Byzantine architects developed. Discuss specific features from at least three buildings and include all three periods (Early, Middle, and Late Byzantine) in your discussion post.
- Compare and contrast the impact of Byzantium had on the arts of Venice and Sicily. Consider the political and social climates of each area and the implication of Byzantine iconography. Use examples to support your ideas.
Chapter 10: The Islamic World
- Compare and contrast the “shared” heritage of the Christian West and the Christian East with Islamic culture. Consider the motifs borrowed and adapted to fit within the tenets of Islam. How were they modified to illustrate this new religion and political ambitions of subsequent generations? Use examples to support your post.
- Select an Islamic structure that is influenced by Roman or Byzantine architecture. Which forms are borrowed? Why and how, in their new Islamic context, are they transformed?
- Compare and contrast the luxury arts of Islam. How do they respond to their respective creating cultures? What are the political overtones found in the work? How did these luxury arts influence the West? Use examples to support your ideas.
Chapter 11: Early Medieval Europe
- Select three illuminated manuscripts of the early Middle Ages and explain the importance of these works of art. Who were they create for and by whom? Discuss the importance of these works of art and the artistic process to produce them.
- Discuss the themes and subjects used for paintings in early medieval Gospel books. Select three specific examples from different parts of Europe.
- Select either the Carolingian or Ottonian architecture and research the development and evolution this specific architectural styles.
- Explain the references to early Christian Roman traditions in Carolingian architecture. How did Carolingian builders transform their models?
Chapter 12: Romanesque
- Describe the development of the portal sculptural programs for Romanesque churches. How did these programs reflect their respective regions? How were they similar, and how were they different? Use examples to support your answer.
- Describe the role the Crusades played in the development of Romanesque art and architecture. Use examples to develop your essay.
- Explain the fusion of Christianity, the Greco-Roman heritage, and the cultures of the Barbarians. What effect did this fusion have on the visual arts of the early Middle Ages? Use examples and/or evidence in the form of artwork from the text to support your claims
- Discuss the sculpture that was integrated into the exteriors of Romanesque churches. Why was it there? Whom did it address? What were the prominent messages? Refer to at least one church discussed in this chapter.
- What is a pilgrimage site? How did pilgrimage sites function for medieval Christians? Ground your answer in a discussion of Santiago de Compostela, focusing on specific features that were geared toward pilgrims
Chapter 13: Gothic Europe
- Describe and evaluate the evoluation of the design of three specific churches during this period. Select three chruches: one from the early Gothic period, the Mid Gothic and then one from the Late Gothic.
- Characterize the most important of the technological innovation and sociocultural formations that made the “Age of Cathedrals” possible.
- Explain how manuscript illumination was used to convey complex theological ideas during the Gothic period. Analyze the iconography of one manuscript in this chapter.
- Using three specific examples of Gothic architecture, explain the role of light in these structures from both the symbolic the structural point of view.