De Anza College Visual Argument Questions
Please find and post an image that presents a visual argument. Include in your post an analysis of the argument that the image makes. Try to respond to each point listed here:
1. Analyze the context
- Why was this image made or created?
- Who is the audience? What can you infer about the intended audience? What did the designer(s) assume the audience knew or believed?
- Who is the designer?
- What do you know about the designer?
2. Analyze the layout
- How is the image or object arranged?
- What is the medium? (photograph, oil painting, etc.)
- What is the genre? (advertisement, monument, etc.)
- Are words connected to the image or object?
3. What appeals are used?
- Pathos: The values of the audience; symbolic elements
- Ethos: The character of what is represented
- Logos: The documentation of facts
4. How would you characterize the style?
- Is it formal, informal, comic, or something else?
- Are any visual metaphors used?