Sergei Einsteins View of Montage Analysis Essay
Three parts total. All the instructions are below. About 300 words
Define: In one or two sentences, define four (4) of the following terms: 5 each (20)
1) The Shot
4) Jump cut
5) Deep focus photography
6) The auteur
Short Answer: Answer both questions fully. Do not answer in only one sentence. At least three or four is required. 10 each (20)
1) What is an active film? Please offer one example and explain why it is active.
2) What is a passive film? Please offer one example and explain why it is passive.
Essay: Answer three (3) of the following questions. At least one or two paragraphs. This means a full thought, with a beginning, a middle and a conclusion. 20 each (60)
1) How was the political style of montage developed by Sergei Eisenstein, Lev Kuleshov and Vsevolod Pudovkin adapted into the classical narrative style of editing that dominates Hollywood?
2) Do you believe that the opening of Touch of Evil deserved to be modified by the studio? Why or why not?
3) What cause Judy Garland to become a cult star? List at least three reasons for fans to cling to her as an icon.