HUM 122 Strayer University Southern Cultural Analysis
Discussion Question Study Guide
Three of the following five questions will appear on the exam; students will choose two to answer. Each of the two should be answered in several paragraphs (200-300 words).
- Define the Agrarian Ideal. Be sure to mention Thomas Jefferson and the Agrarians (authors of I’ll Take My Stand).
- Name and briefly describe the social classes of the South before the Civil War.
- Summarize how the status of African Americans in the South has changed over the past 150 years.
- Define “paternalism,” tell how it is significant in Southern culture, and give a specific example of paternalism from one of our readings this semester.
- Explain the roots of racism in the South and give two examples of racism from our readings this semester.
List of Possible ID Questions
Eight of the following IDs will appear on the mid-term. Students will choose five to answer. Each term should be identified in a few phrases or sentences. Focus on relevance to Southern culture.
- The Virginia Company
- indentured servants
- Nathanial Bacon
- nobless oblige
- yeoman farmers
- the Agrarian Ideal
- the “Lost Cause”
- the “New South”
- the “Middle Passage”
- chattel slavery
- the gang system of labor
- Jim Crow
- Plessy v. Ferguson
- Southern Christian Leadership Conference
- Freedom Riders