Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program Discussion
Food Insecurity Challenge and Experiential Learning Assignment: The purpose of this assignment is to understand the realities of poverty and the strengths and weaknesses of a social program designed to help provide a safety net for people experiencing food insecurity.
About the Food Insecurity Challenge: Students will be required to spend one week living on an average “SNAP budget” that would be available to you as a Texas resident. The maximum monthly food stamp (SNAP) allotment for an individual through September 2021 is $234 per month. Your total for the week is $54, or $7.71 per day. https://yourtexasbenefits.hhsc.texas.gov/programs/…
Here are the rules that students will follow:
1. Each student must remain within the budget for the week. That budget is $54 for all food and beverage for one week or $7.71 per day. 2. Develop a menu and shopping list for food, which would feed you three meals, every day for seven days on $7.71 per day
3. Go to a store and document how much each item on your shopping list would cost, making sure not to add more than $54 worth of items to your list.
4. All food purchased and eaten during the week must be included in your weekly budget, including eating out. While most states do not allow you to use food stamps for fast food, for the purpose of this project, I will allow it. However, that money is included in your total expenditures!
5. During the challenge, you can only eat food that you purchase for the project. Do not eat food that you already have. However, you may use spices and condiments (mustard, ketchup, salt, pepper, etc.) that you already have.
6. Do not accept free food from anyone – including family, friends, or at work including at receptions, briefings, or other events where food is served.
7. Keep track of your receipts on food spending.
8. Journal Writing: You will keep a daily journal that includes what you ate each day, the approximate cost of each meal, and your feelings, emotions, level of hunger, reactions of others, etc. Keep these as one document. Post your journal entries into the designated discussion post for this assignment. Read and reply to two peers.
Write a three-page (double-spaced) response to the exercise.
• Describe the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) including program goals, historical background, and eligibility criteria. • Find data related to hunger, poverty, SNAP participation, and the demographic information related to SNAP.
• Consider racism and other forms of oppression that perpetuate poverty.
• Include a section on whether your feelings about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) have changed, and why you feel a change in perceptions, attitudes, or feelings about food stamps did or did not occur.
• Discuss the ways social workers can advocate for clients in obtaining adequate food.