Allen County Community College Advanced Practice Nursing Outcomes Research Paper
A review of the literature suggests that increased attention is being given to the assessment of APN performance. Reports of APN performance have varied from descriptive studies to outcomes research. Studies related to the outcomes of APN care and APN performance and impact can be categorized according to the focus of the research. The list of categories for the studies related to APN outcome research are below.
- Role description studies
- Role perception/acceptance studies
- Care delivery process studies
- Process-as-outcomes studies
- Performance (process) improvement activities
- Disease management activities
- Outcome management activities
- Outcomes research
- Studies comparing APN and physician outcomes
- Studies comparing APN and physician productivity
- Studies comparing APN and usual practice outcomes
- Studies using non-comparison groups
Critically appraise an APRN outcome research study and address items a-e listed below in your initial post to the discussion board:
- Find a research study documenting outcomes of APN practice in your specialty area.
- Summarize what was studied and the key findings in a short paragraph.
- Critically appraise the strengths and weaknesses of the study. You may list them or use a table format.
- Overall, how valid are the findings in supporting the APN role?
- What needs to be done next?