Monmouth University Significance of Gilgamesh Search for Immortality Discussion
Th topics for the paper will be those I mentioned in class and which are presented below.
1. How are women portrayed in Genesis? Can you come up with a theory which you can defend from your reading?
2. What do you think is the significance of Gilgamesh’s search for immortality?
3. Compare the story of the flood told in Genesis and that told in The Epic of Gilgamesh. Do the differences tell us anything about how the stories are being used or what the purpose of each might be?
4. What is the difference in the relationship to humans between the gods in The Epic of Gilgamesh and God in Genesis? What might the differences tell us about the purpose of each work or the people to whom they were directed?
5. Dreams appear often in The Epic of Gilgamesh. What do you think is the importance of the various dreams, or how do they work in the story?
6. What–if any–changes occur in the character of Gilgamesh? What events or realizations might have caused those changes?
7. What do we see of God’s justice in the punishments and tests he puts people through in Genesis?
SELECT ONE OF THE QUESTIONS ABOVE FROM WHICH YOU WILL FORMULATE A THESIS AND THEN DEVELOP THE THESIS INTO A THREE TO FIVE PAGE ESSAY WHICH DRAWS UPON EXAMPLES FROM OUR READING AND LECTURES OR POSSIBLE DISCUSSION.