Nothern Virginia Community College Sexual Stereotypes in The Media Questions
In groups consider the following questions BEFORE watching the film Sexual Stereotypes in the Media:
- Do you watch television and/or films? If so, why, what kind, and how often?
- How many advertisements do you think you see and hear every day? Where do you see and hear advertisements? Think of as many places as possible. What makes an advertisement stay in your memory? Images? Music? Words? Phrases?
- Do you think advertising influences the kinds of products you buy? If yes, how? If no, explain why you think you’re able to resist it.
- What does it mean to be feminine, as opposed to masculine? How would you define femininity? Masculinity?
- What are some typical expectations of women in our culture? Where do you think these expectations come from? How fair or accurate do you think they are?
- What are some typical expectations of men in our culture? Where do you think these expectations come from? How fair or accurate do you think they are?
Then, watch Sexual Stereotypes in the Media by clicking HERELinks to an external site.. Take notes as you go, writing down important words and phrases (segmentation, hegemony, etc.).
Respond in a full paragraph with your thoughts on what you viewed, and if any of your answers from above may differ. What does the film get right, in your opinion? What parts of the film do you disagree with, and why? Be specific in your answers.