HLS 3306 Columbia Southern Use of Homemade Improvised Explosive Devices Discussion
Conduct research on the use of an Improvised explosive device (IED) in an attack that occurred in the United States or abroad within the last 5 years. You will then write a case study that provides a thorough analysis of the attack and demonstrates your understanding of concepts addressed in this course.
Your case study will contain three parts. The first part should include a background and analysis of the attack that includes at a minimum, the following components listed below.
- Was it a lone-wolf attack or one orchestrated by a terrorist group? What was the motive or intent?
- Describe the type of IED used, to include the technology involved to develop and detonate the device.
- Discuss the level of difficulty involved in building this type of device. Were the components readily obtainable? Could instructions to build this type of device be found on the Internet?
The second part of your case study will focus on detection and response to the incident. Address the following points:
- Was the attack initially recognized/treated as terrorism by emergency management? What types of counterterrorism tactics and technology were utilized?
- What type of detection equipment was employed by first responders?
- What type of personal protective equipment (PPE) did first responders need to use?
- What role, if any, did social media play in the attack or its aftermath?
- What lessons were learned by first responders, law enforcement, and other responding agencies as a result of this attack?
Finally, in the third part of your case study, you will consider the various homeland security technology options discussed in this course relating to prevention, protection, and mitigation. Offer and defend your opinion on the following question.
- Could this attack have been prevented