PHI 210 SU Wk 2 Personal Position on The Issue of Medical Marijuana Discussion
When looking for information about a particular issue, how often do you try to resist biases toward your own point of view?
This assignment asks you to engage in this aspect of critical thinking by playing the “Believing Game.” The Believing Game is about making the effort to “believe,” or at least consider, the reasons for an opposing view on an issue.
- In the Week 2 Discussion, you examined the biases discussed in Chapter 2 of the webtext and reviewed one of the topics from Pros & Cons of Controversial Issues. You may use the same topic from this discussion or find another:
- Select one of the topics from Pros & Cons of Controversial Issues, state your position on the issue, and identify three premises (reasons) listed under either the Pro or Con section—whichever section opposes your position.
- For the three premises (reasons) that oppose your position on the issue, answer these “believing” questions suggested by Elbow:
- What’s interesting or helpful in this view?
- What would I notice if I believed this view?
- In what sense or under what conditions might this idea be true?