MUS 15 College of San Mateo Orchestra Concerts Option 1 Philadelphia Orchestra Worksheet
This concert assignment is to practice discussing music and performances and should serve as a
space for reflections on your experiences watching your chosen performance. Consider the
1. Which piece/part of the performance did you enjoy the most (if any)? Why? What
musical elements made this part of the performance the most entertaining, exciting,
2. Which piece/part of the performance did you enjoy the least (if any)? Why? What
musical elements made this part of the performance unenjoyable or unpleasant to you?
3. Were there parts that stuck out to you as especially interesting, weird, bizarre,
unexpected, surprising, delightful, etc.?
4. How would you describe the different pieces in your chosen performance? Was it
loud/quiet, fast/slow, a combination of things? What instruments were used? Did one
type of instrument seem more important than the others at points? Was there an emotion
or feeling that you could attach to different pieces?
5. If you have been to a classical music concert before, was this performance similar or
different than the one you attended? What were some of those similarities and/or
6. What other, non-musical, aspects of the performance stood out to you? For example,
what were your reactions to the venue? If visible on the videos, what was the audience
like in the videos? Who seemed to be the main demographic in the audience? Did you
notice anything about the performers that stuck out to you (e.g., costuming, audience
interaction, use of soloists, etc.)?