NUR 4827 Florida National University Nursing Leadership and Management Discussion
Virtual Clinical Learning Experience
The purpose of this assignment is to provide the student an opportunity to reflect on leadership thinking
via the use of multiple scenarios and platforms.
This assignment provides documentation of the student’s ability to meet the following course outcomes:
– The student will be able to analyze and apply the leadership and management role into the nursing
– The student will be able to differentiate between the manager’s responsibility to advocate for patients,
subordinates, their employer, the profession, and for self.
– The student will be able to relate management processes to management practice at the unit level.
1. The Virtual Clinical Learning Experience is worth 25% and will be graded on quality of selfassessment, use of citations, use of Standard English grammar, sentence structure, and overall
organization based on the required components as summarized in the directions and grading
2. Follow the directions and grading criteria closely. Any questions about your essay may be posted
under the Q & A forum under the Discussions tab.
3. The length of the reflection is to be within four to five pages excluding title page and
reference pages. A minimum of four peer-reviewed citations are to be used throughout
the assignment aside from your course textbook.
4. APA format is required with both a title page and reference page. Use the required components
of the review as Level 1 headers (upper and lower case, centered):
Note: Introduction – Write an introduction but do not use “Introduction” as a heading in accordance with
the rules put forth in the Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (2020, p. 30).
a. Course Reflection
PREPARING YOUR VIRTUAL CLINICAL LEARNING EXPERIENCE
The BSN Essentials (AACN, 2008) outline a number of healthcare policy and advocacy competencies for
the BSN-prepared nurse. Reflect on your virtual clinical learning experience, course readings, discussion
threads, and applications you have completed across this course thus far and use it to write a reflective
essay regarding the following questions and points:
1. Complete the Virtual Clinical Learning Experience “Leadership to use systemsthinking”
3. Identify specific methods of transformational leadership and how they were used to solve a problem.
4. Describe one patient safety issue from the VCL experience.
5. How did the healthcare team seek to reduce risks, provided specific examples or description and
6. Describe a way the nurse leader used a transformational leadership principle.
7. Describe how one-way systems thinking was used in the VCL
8. Reflections on the experience:
a. Describe one specific way you have or use principles of systems thinking to enhance outcomes,
using supportive peer-reviewed citations.
b. Describe one specific way you have or could use principles of transformational leadership to
enhance outcomes, using supportive peer-reviewed citations.
c. Please provide supportive peer-reviewed rationale using information taken from at least one
course resource (textbook may be used). Your understanding will be demonstrated as you
explain transformational leadership and systems thinking key concepts in your own words and
apply them to your reflections, providing peer-reviewed supportive rationale for your decisions.
American Association of Colleges of Nursing [AACN]. (2008). The essentials of baccalaureate education
for professional nursing practice. Washington, DC: Author.