MT 217 Purdue University Financial Markets Paper & Presentation
Assignment 2: Writing Assignment
In this assignment, you will be assessed based on the following Course Outcomes:
MT217-1: Explain how financial markets operate and are essential for a healthy economy and economic growth.
GEL-1.03: Demonstrate college-level communication through the oral delivery of original materials in Standard English.
GEL-6.05: Adapt research skills to discover and sort relevant sources to complete tasks.
Making effective financial decisions is determined by how much information one can gather on different markets and their conditions. By using effective research skills, you will be able to identify how a market operates, and you will be able to forecast the sustainability and strength of the economy.
Read through the whole assignment to understand the topics that must be covered in the selection of your article.
There are three parts to this assignment. Parts 1 and 2 will be written in a Microsoft® Word® document. In Part 1, you will look for a scholarly article from the Purdue Global Library and write about the process you used in locating the article to help with the assignment. For Part 2, you will be assessed on writing a summary of the article focusing on the questions asked. For Part 3, you will do a PowerPoint® presentation with audio. It is important for you to be able to communicate with supervisors or management the details of your research. Using PowerPoint is one way to communicate your information and to show details of the research.
Part 1: Locate a High-Quality Library Article
You will need to locate one or more scholarly articles from the Purdue Global Library that explain how financial markets operate and are essential for a healthy economy and economic growth. The article(s) should provide you with information to answer Part 2 of your assignment. You will write about the process you went through to locate your article(s), thoroughly covering the topics below.
You must follow the following criteria for your research:
- Explain how your search terms were refined.
- Identify your choice of databases (for example: EBSCO or ProQuest ABI/Inform).
- Identify the range of dates used.
- Identify the experts.
- Identify how you sorted the relevant topics.
Locating scholarly articles:
Scholarly articles must be current and of high quality. These include peer-reviewed academic articles, articles published in journals, and other library resources found in the Purdue Global Library.
How to access the ABI/Inform database, selecting peer-reviewed journal articles:
- Locate the Library link from Academic Tools.
- Scroll midway down the page and locate “ProQuest ABI/Inform Collection.”
- Make sure “Full text” and “Peer Reviewed” are checked.
- Enter your keyword(s) in the search area and select the search button.
- Under Source Type, select Scholarly Journals.
In Course Resources under Course Documents, you will find an interactive tutorial on “How to Access the ABI/Inform Database” to learn more on how to access and search using the database along with additional resources.
Part 2: Research Financial Markets
Write a summary of the article(s), answering the following questions:
- Why are financial markets essential for a healthy economy and economic growth?
- What are financial institutions?
- Describe each and give an example of who may use them:
- Investment banks
- Commercial banks
- Financial services corporations
- Pension funds
- Mutual funds
Note: You may use your textbook as an additional resource; however, the majority of your content must come from your article(s).
Part 3: Research on Markets: PowerPoint Presentation With Audio
It is important to be able to communicate and share with supervisors or management the information received to help determine informed financial decisions. An effective tool to inform and communicate this information is a PowerPoint presentation. Please see the criteria required in the Components section below for the oral delivery of this presentation.
You will create a PowerPoint presentation with audio covering the following topics:
- Explain capital transfers.
- What are the three primary ways in which capital is transferred between savers and borrowers? Describe each one.
- What is a financial market?
- Differentiate between the following markets:
- Physical asset markets versus financial asset markets
- Spot markets versus futures market
- Money markets versus capital markets
- Primary asset markets versus secondary markets
- Public markets versus private markets
- Part 1 and Part 2 must be submitted in one Microsoft Word document, in APA format, and must include a title page and reference page.
- Part 3 must be submitted as a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation and should be a minimum of 7 slides, in addition to the title slide and reference slide. Each slide is required to also include a script of what is being said in the audio at that point in the presentation. The slides should be easy to read; use Times New Roman in 18-point font.
- Oral delivery requirements: Your narration must use Standard English, proper word choice and oral expressiveness, and a highly developed and sustained viewpoint and purpose, and display exceptional content, organization, and style, while leading the audience to a dynamic and supported conclusion. Your communication must be highly ordered, logical, and unified. You must clearly enunciate, deliver your narration in an academic/professional tone, and minimize background noise.
- All Parts to the assignment must include correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Your paper must be written in Standard English and demonstrate exceptional content, organization, style, grammar, and mechanics.
- Your paper should provide a clearly established and sustained viewpoint and purpose.
- Your writing should be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful.
- A separate page at the end of your paper should contain a list of references. Your sources should follow proper current APA formatting. Review APA format found in the Writing Center, accessed through the Academic Success Center within the Academic Tools area of the course.
- Ensure you are properly paraphrasing from your sources. For a refresher on paraphrasing, view this short video on paraphrasing and explore the additional resources prior to starting your assignment. You can access tutorials, how-to videos, tutoring services, and more by visiting the Academic Success Center.
- You must use at least one scholarly, high-quality, and current Purdue Global Library source in addition to your course materials. Peer-reviewed academic articles, articles published in journals, textbooks, and library resources found in the “ProQuest ABI/Inform Collection” database from the Library are examples of high-quality resources.
- Review the rubric to ensure you incorporate all the criteria in your assignment.