IT 650 SNHU Database Design Activity for Wildwood Apartments Computer Science Task
Based on your selected scenario from Hands-On Database, complete the “To Do” activities. Please check your own work to be sure it includes the elements in the list.
- Review all the requirements and business rules.
- Define your entities and attributes and the relations that exist between them.
- Create a logical model using crow’s feet notation in Visio or hand draw it on graph paper if you prefer.
- Add all the entities and their attributes. You don’t need to worry about data types for now.
- Identify the key fields for each entity and the foreign keys.
- Analyze the diagram. Identify which role (i.e., domain, linking, lookup, or weak) each entity plays in your database.
- Review it for the following:
- Are all the major components of the Wildwood Apartments business model represented by domain entities?
- Does each entity contain the appropriate attributes to fully describe it and meet the business rules you have gathered so far?
- Does every entity have an appropriate primary key defined?
- Are all many-to-many relationships resolved into one-to-many relationships by linking tables?
- Are the relationships valid (no cross relationships)? Is the appropriate entity is defined as the one side of a one-to-many relationship? Do the tables have appropriate foreign keys? Also check for other such issues.
- Are lookup tables used for attributes that have a set list of values?
- Documentation: Be sure to store your ERDs in your database notebook.