HU Medical Apparatus Company International Expansion Project
Create an imaginary company that you have been operating in the domestic arena for some time.
You represent top management and you have decided it is time to go international! Be sure to cover all the topics listed below in your paper. You will want to back up your decisions using your textbook knowledge and at least five outside research sources, for a minimum of six in total. Your decisions must be well supported.
Be sure to use formal APA writing style. Go to “Business writing and research tools” under the Start Here tap. Also use the Keiser library to find reliable sources of information. How do you know if a source is reliable? You can watch this video: https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/tutorials/evaluating-sour…
Your project should be a minimum of five (5) pages in length, double spaced using 12-point font. At least five (5) outside sources are required and please include a bibliography at the end of your paper (not counted as one of the 5 pages required pages) in APA format.
Please see below for all the topics you must cover in your project and suggestions of where to find specific information in the textbook. Be aware that at least five outside resources are necessary because specific information about the country that you select is not in the textbook.
If you have time, I recommend that you watch the documentary American Factory, in Netflix. It will help you understand how cultural differences affect businesses and management.
- Describe your company and its operations, product, relative size, and other features.
- Give reasons for your decision to go international (Chapter 6, pg. 185)
- Decide on an appropriate country in which to operate and give your rationale for this choice. For example, if your company sells beef do not chose India or if you sell any food that is genetically modified (GMO), do not choose any European country.
- State your planned entry strategy and give your reasons for this strategy. Chapter 6, pg. 205-221.
- Describe the environment in which you will operate. Chapter 1 and Chapter 6, pg. 193.
- Describe the critical operational factors that you must consider and how they will affect your company. Chapter 6, pg. 196.
- Give a cultural profile of the local area in which you will be operating. What are the workers going to be like? What kind of reception do you anticipate from local governments, suppliers, distributors, and so on? Chapters 1 to 5
- Draw up an organization chart showing the company and its overseas operations and describe why you have chosen this structure. Chapter 8, pg. 256-269
- Decide on the staffing policy you will use for top-level managers and give your rationale for this policy. Chapter 9, pg. 286-304
- Describe the kinds of leadership and motivational systems you think would be most effective in this environment. Give your rationale in detail. Chapter 11, pg. 350-372
- Discuss the kinds of communication problems your managers might face in the host-country working environment. How should they prepare for and deal with them? Chapters 4 and 11.
- Explain any special control issues that concern you for this overseas operation. How do you plan to deal with them?
- Identify the concerns of the host country and the local community regarding your operations there. What plans do you have to deal with their concerns and to ensure a long-term cooperative relationship?
The previous weekly breakdown covers the following topics:
- Assessment of the environment.
- Cultural profile
- Communication in the workplace.
- Cross-cultural managing.
- Structure (organization).
- Control issues related to the operation overseas and what would you deal with them.
- Concerns of the host country and local community regarding your operations and how would you deal with them in the short and long run.